The scene shifts to another point.
Sun Quan of Jiangdong, stationed in Chaisang County, heard that Cao Cao's
army had reached Xiangyang, Liu Biao's son Liu Cong had surrendered, and was
now marching overnight to attack Jiangling. He summoned all his advisors to
discuss a defensive strategy.
Lu Su (Sun Quan's advisor) said, "Jingzhou is connected to our state
(Eastern Wu), with strategically important and prosperous terrain. If we can
occupy it, it will be the foundation for us to become kings and emperors. Now
that Liu Biao has just died and Liu Bei has just been defeated, I request
permission to go to Jiangxia to offer condolences and, incidentally, persuade
Liu Bei to appease Liu Biao's subordinates. Then, we can all work together to
defeat Cao Cao. If Liu Bei agrees, our great cause will succeed." Sun Quan
was pleased and immediately dispatched Lu Su with gifts to Jiangxia to offer
condolences.
Meanwhile, Liu Bei arrived in Jiangxia and discussed a plan with Zhuge
Liang and Liu Qi.
Zhuge Liang said, "Cao Cao's power is too great to resist. It would
be better to seek refuge with Sun Quan of Eastern Wu for support. Let him fight
Cao Cao on both the north and south, and we can benefit from the middle. What's
wrong with that?" Liu Bei said, "Jiangdong has many talented people,
and they certainly have far-sighted strategies. Why would they accept us?"
Zhuge Liang smiled and said, "Cao Cao now leads a million-strong army,
like a tiger occupying the Yangtze River region. How could Jiangdong not send
someone to investigate?" He said, "If someone comes here, I can
borrow a gust of wind and immediately reach Jiangdong. With my eloquent speech,
I can persuade the northern and southern armies to annex each other. If the
southern army (Sun Quan) wins, we will kill Cao Cao together and seize
Jingzhou; if the northern army (Cao Cao) wins, we can take the opportunity to
occupy Jiangnan."
Liu Bei said, "This idea is brilliant. But how can we get people from
Jiangdong to come?"
Just then, someone reported that Sun Quan of Jiangdong had sent Lu Su to
offer condolences, and the boat had already docked. Zhuge Liang smiled and
said, "The great undertaking is about to succeed!" He then asked Liu
Qi, "When Sun Ce (Sun Quan's brother) died, did Xiangyang (Liu Biao's
territory) send anyone to offer condolences?" Liu Qi replied,
"Jiangdong has a blood feud with our family (Sun Jian was killed in battle
against Liu Biao), how could they have any custom of exchanging gifts or
condolences?" Zhuge Liang said, "In that case, Lu Su's arrival is not
for condolences, but to gather military intelligence." He then said to Liu
Bei, "If Lu Su asks you about Cao Cao's movements, my lord, pretend you
don't know. If he keeps asking, my lord, say you can ask Zhuge Liang."
After discussing this, he sent someone to welcome Lu Su. Lu Su entered the city
to offer condolences, accepted the gifts, and Liu Qi invited Lu Su to meet with
Liu Bei. After exchanging greetings, he invited him to drink in the back hall.
Lu Su said, "I have long heard of Your Majesty's (Liu Bei's) great
name, but have never had the opportunity to meet you; I am truly delighted to
meet you today. I have heard that Your Majesty has recently been fighting Cao
Cao; you must know his strengths and weaknesses. May I ask how many troops Cao
Cao has?"
Liu Bei said, "Our army is small and lacks generals. We fled as soon
as we heard Cao Cao was coming; we have no idea of his strengths or weaknesses."
Lu Su said, "I have heard that Your Majesty used Zhuge Liang's
strategy, and the two great fires terrified Cao Cao. How could you say you
didn't know?"
Liu Bei said, "Only by asking Kongming will he know the
details."
Lu Su said, "Where is Kongming? I hope to see him."
Liu Bei sent someone to invite Zhuge Liang out for an audience. After Lu
Su greeted Zhuge Liang, he asked, "I have always admired your talent and
virtue, but have never had the opportunity to pay my respects. Today, I am
fortunate to meet you and hope to hear your thoughts on the current critical
situation."
Zhuge Liang replied, "I am already aware of Cao Cao's treacherous
schemes; I only regret that our strength is insufficient, so we are temporarily
avoiding him."
Lu Su asked, "Does Your Excellency intend to stay here?"
Zhuge Liang said, "Your Excellency (Liu Bei) has an old friendship
with Wu Chen, the Prefect of Cangwu, and intends to seek refuge with him."
Lu Su said, "Wu Chen's territory is short of food and weak in troops;
he can barely protect himself, how can he accommodate others?"
Zhuge Liang said, "Although we cannot stay with Wu Chen for long, we
can rely on him for now, and we will have better plans later."
Lu Su said... "General Sun is like a tiger, occupying six
commanderies. His army is well-trained, his provisions plentiful, and he
greatly respects capable men. Most of the heroes of Jiangdong have joined him.
I think it would be better for you to send a trusted person to form an alliance
with Eastern Wu and plan important matters together."
Zhuge Liang said, "Lord Liu has never had any dealings with General
Sun, so I'm afraid it would be a waste of breath. Besides, there is no one I
can trust to send."
Lu Su said, "Sir, your brother (Zhuge Jin) is currently serving as a
strategist in Jiangdong and longs to see you every day. Although I am not
talented, I am willing to go with you to see General Sun and discuss important
matters together."
Liu Bei said, "Kongming is my teacher; I cannot leave him even for a
moment. How can I let him go?" Lu Su insisted that Zhuge Liang go with
him. Liu Bei pretended to refuse.
Zhuge Liang said, "The situation is critical; please allow me to go
as ordered." Only then did Liu Bei agree. Lu Su then bid farewell to Liu
Bei and Liu Qi, and boarded a ship with Zhuge Liang, heading towards Chaisang
Commandery.
沒有留言:
張貼留言